Search This Blog

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Gotta Love Burl Ives

You know it's Christmas when you flip on the t.v. and hear the unmistakable vocals of Burl Ives belting from a snowman. Yes last night was that time when the story of beloved Rudolph is told in glorious claymation. I was a little excited to introduce Kaylie to this yearly tradition. As a child I always eagerly sought out the weekly t.v. guide during the holidays to pinpoint all of the Christmas specials we would be watching. Rudolph was always a favorite. I have to say watching it again has turned many of those rosy, nostalgic memories into a more realistic picture of quirkey animation with a silly storyline. With all of its flaws nothing can put a smile on my face faster than a tune from Burl Ives. Rudolph does the trick with a rousing song of Holly Jolly Christmas. Something about Burl's deep but warm voice. He just seems like a grandpa that would sit around the hearth with his pipe telling Christmas stories to all the grandkids. So here's to you Burl Ives. I may get older, but your Christmas spirit makes me feel like a kid again.

No comments: